It’s an exciting time to be joining Rome2rio! Our vision is to be the world’s trusted companion for planning travel and we are implementing an ambitious 3-year strategy to get us there. Our mission for 2025 is to help users move away from the pain of using many different tools and to make it easier for them to plan, book and share their complete trip.
To help us achieve this we are looking for an Accountant to join our finance team in Melbourne.
This is a rare opportunity to build a career at a fast-growing, international travel technology company. We have developed a unique, online travel planning experience which engages ~40 million users globally each month.
At Rome2rio, we have a people first mindset, we prioritise growth and development, we are passionate about our work, and we have fun doing it. We are a highly engaged, collaborative bunch. Together we make Rome2rio a great place to work, and we’re committed to maintaining this achievement.
As part of our finance team, your responsibilities will span a wide range of tasks, from transactional accounting basics to brainstorming creative solutions to grow the sophistication of our function. You’ll have the space to work with autonomy while influencing new initiatives, flexibility as to when and where you work and an encouraging environment where your input is valued. Most importantly, you’ll get mentorship and support from experienced finance professionals who have all successfully made the leap into the tech scene.
Rome2rio proudly succeeds through diversity and inclusion. We encourage all suitable candidates for this role to apply without hesitating, though you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have full Australian working rights.
In this role, you’ll gain experience in:
- Financial accounting > month end journals and balance sheet reconciliations
- Reporting > preparing management accounts and regulatory reports for example BAS, FBT, PAYG withholding and payroll tax
- Transactional accounting > managing day to day processes including accounts payable and receivable and oversight on the processing of expenses
- Treasury > reconciliation of bank accounts, monitoring cash balances and upcoming spend across multiple currencies
- Payroll > preparing pay runs and managing employee benefits
- Compliance > assisting with audit and tax requirements
There will always be other tasks that come up from time to time, so you’ll be an all-rounder representative of our finance team willing to go the extra mile. We’re also looking for someone who creatively looks for improvements to the way we do things.
Skills and Requirements
- Professional > 3 years’ hands-on finance experience, CA/CPA qualified or working towards it, preferably Big 4 or large corporate experience
- Technical > you understand the importance of day to day accounting operations and like to ensure these critical processes are done right, you have a working knowledge of tax compliance - GST, FBT, PAYG withholding, payroll tax, and a working knowledge of Australian Accounting Standards
- Computer > advanced spreadsheet skills, experience with Workday is preferred, although an eagerness to transfer your skills from another accounting package is just as good
- Personal > organised, efficient, reliable, respect for accuracy and detail, proactive, problem solver, willing to get hands dirty, excellent communicator, team contributor and a thirst to learn
Please include a short cover letter with your application, with a description of how your experience applies to this role. We encourage you to apply even if you are still developing some of the above capabilities and have a willingness to learn.