Software Engineers ( Mid Level)
- Richmond, Victoria, Australia
- Part Time to Full Time
- Mid Level
Rome2rio has a vision to be the world’s trusted companion for planning travel. As the world starts to travel again, particularly in our core markets of Europe and the US, we know that global travel demand will take off in new and exciting ways.
Currently, we have an average user base of ~30mn visitors/month coming to us from across the globe. Users engage with Rome2rio to find the option they want to travel with, book their tickets, and book their accommodation.
Our mission for 2025 is to help users move away from the pain of using many different tools and to make it easier for them to plan, book and share their complete trip.
To help us on this journey we are looking for Software Development Engineers to join our growing team in Melbourne
About the Engineering opportunities:
We are looking for Software Engineers to join our team. As a Software Engineer, you’ll work within our cross-functional product engineering teams on a wide variety of projects across customer acquisition, engagement, conversion, data coverage and content. You need to have a product and user mindset and work across the full software stack. We prioritise our work based on user needs and value we can provide.
Impact you will make. ie some cool things you may work on:
- Optimize the accuracy and speed of our search algorithm covering billions of potential origin/destination search pairs
- Improve and experiment on the core user experience of Rome2rio on desktop, mobile and tablet devices
- Create more contextually relevant components based on our travellers' needs
- Integrate new train, bus, hotel, rental car and attraction data from APIs and data feeds
- Build tools for our content team to add and maintain data in our system
- Improve the accuracy of estimated fares displayed on the site
- Develop interfaces for user accounts, bookings, history, saving and sharing itineraries etc
- Optimise our tooling, weighting algorithms and pages to support 100s of millions of SEO/SEM origin/destination pairs
- A/B test changes and measure the impact to the site’s design and functionality
A bit about you
We are looking for people with a Computer Science or Software Engineering background. Bachelor or higher degree is preferred, but not mandatory. Experience with a breadth of programming languages, a broad toolkit, the ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and a "get stuff done" attitude are important to us.
Our codebase is predominantly C#, TypeScript and React, however you do not need to be a C# or React expert; you just need to be the type of engineer that wants to quickly learn new languages and can work within an existing codebase.
Skills we’re interested in
- Experience in HTML & CSS
- Excellent problem-solving and collaboration skills
- Experience in or willingness to mentor team members, review code and contribute to improving engineering practices
- Experience working with SQL/NoSQL data stores and cloud services from one of AWS/GCP/Azure
It’s great if you bring, or would like to improve on
- Experience with C# and TypeScript
- Experience working with and maintaining large codebases on highly trafficked web applications
- Experience in conceiving, developing and testing hypotheses in A/B testing environments
Alongside building a great consumer focused product, working with a talented team and an attractive salary, Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
- Five weeks annual leave
- A biennial travel fund of $2000 towards international and domestic flights
- A biennial ground transport fund of $1000 for transit expenses outside of Melbourne
- A generous annual learning & development budget of $3000
- Paid parental leave of 10 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers
- A yearly health and wellness benefit
- A hybrid working model where you can choose to work from home or our office most days, along with a $500 contribution towards your home workstation set up
- A casual, creative and social loft-style warehouse space in Richmond where the team meets for scheduled activities and collaborative work, celebrations and lunches together
- We work flexibly to let life happen, we rely on great communication and focus on outcomes and engaging work over time on the clock.
As we meet in person from time to time, you need to be based in Victoria, Australia. To be considered for this role you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have full Australian working rights. As part of our flexible approach, we’d be open to discussing part time options.