Senior Data Engineer
As the world starts to travel again, particularly in our core markets of Europe and the US, we know that global travel demand will take off in new ways. We are adding to our product to provide a more complete, connected and contextually relevant experience, and have big plans to become the world’s trusted companion for planning travel!
About the Senior Data Engineer Opportunity
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our team in Melbourne. We have a range of challenging projects which you may tackle depending on your skills and interests.
For example you might:
- Manage and process data using Google Cloud Platform, BigQuery and data build tool (dbt) or another ELT system
- Maintain, improve and manage a proprietary data ingestion pipeline
- Manage engineering challenges around the moving and processing of significant amounts of data
- Work with data scientists and software engineering teams to improve datasets toolchains and infrastructure
- Interact with AWS and BigQuery using our proprietary purpose-built infrastructure
Check out our company blog for an idea of what we are busy working on.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for somebody with a Computer Science or Software Engineering bachelor degree (or equivalent experience). Experience with a breadth of programming languages, a broad toolkit, the ability to thrive independently and a "get stuff done" attitude are important to us. Our backend codebase is C#, however you do not need to be a C# expert; you just need to be the type of engineer that wants to quickly learn new languages and can work within an existing codebase.
Skills we're interested in
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with data cleaning and processing a diversity of data formats
- Experience with version control systems like Git
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical and collaboration skills
- Experience in or willingness to mentor team members, review code and contribute to implementing good engineering practices
Nice to have
- Familiarity with BigQuery, dbt, and data pipeline orchestration technologies
- Experience with C# and / or python
- Familiarity with GA 360 BigQuery exports
- Experience with AWS and / or GCP
- Familiarity with data dashboarding technologies
- An understanding of Agile methods and concepts
This role is based in Melbourne.
Alongside building a great consumer focused product, working with a talented team and an attractive salary, Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
- Five weeks annual leave
- A biennial travel fund of $2000 towards international and domestic flights
- A biennial ground transport fund of $1000 for transit expenses outside of Melbourne
- A generous annual learning & development budget of $3000
- 10 weeks paid maternity leave and 20 days paid dad & partner leave
- A yearly health and wellness benefit
- A hybrid working model where you can choose to work from home or our office most days, along with a $500 contribution towards your home workstation set up
- A casual, creative and social loft-style warehouse space in Richmond where the team meets for scheduled activities and collaborative work, celebrations and lunches together
- We work flexibly to let life happen, we rely on great communication and focus on outcomes and engaging work over time on the clock.
We value diversity and welcome all applicants regardless of ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability.
We encourage you to apply even if you are still developing some of these skills and have a willingness to learn.